Saturday 10 March 2012

The Old Town of Tallin

Recently I decided to go on a longer trip. I chose Tallinn. The Old Town of Tallinn is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.


It is surrounded by well preserved city walls. I entered by one of the gates.


Of course it no longer serves as a protection but in the Middle Ages it was probably quite powerful.


Let's take one of these medieval streets.


It will lead you of course to the Town Hall.


 It is an impressive building with a very tall tower.


The Town Hall is located on the market square. In summer it is of course ful of tourists. In winter it is empty and sad. The weather had one benefit though - you can see the size of the square. In one of the corners I noticed another interesting tower.


I decided to come closer. Oh, it is the St. Olaf's church. Between 1549 and 1625 it was the tallest building in the world!


 The tower's viewing platform offers panoramic views over the Old Town. Unfortunatelly it is closed in winter so I just walked around it.


Then I took another road with nice old buildings.


 At one of the corners, I met a nice chimney-sweep.


 Obviously, you have to rub his nose to bring some Estonian luck back home (hopefully this does mean you have to bring back some Estonian weather).


Just outside the Old Town you will see the National Opera and Ballet house.


I did not unfortunatelly have time to enter. I was in a rush to find the post office before they close it (at 5 PM!) so that I can send some surprise postcards to my postcrossing friends. Uff... I made it.




No comments:

Post a Comment